one cyclist's adventures through the urban jungle

Sunday, April 01, 2007

ears back

This probably isn't the only cycling website that you read, so this may very well be old news. I've seen it in a number of places, but I am not regurgitating it because I have nothing else to talk about. I will repeat it because it concerns everyone, especially those of us that ride our bikes.

A few weeks back a City of Toronto Councillor made a comment regarding bicycle lanes that just happens to be the most asinine, ignorant thing I have heard in a long time.

"I can't support bike lanes. Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks. My heart bleeds when someone gets killed, but it's their own fault at the end of the day."

-Rob Ford,Toronto City Councillor

I had to bang my head against my desk for a while when I read this.

Apparently this isn't his first statement devoid of reasoning. It looks like there are more. That is not my concern at the moment. Right now I am concerned that someone in Mr. Ford's position has not only no idea of the laws of his own Province, but also that he can assert guilt to cyclists that are killed on the road. Mr. Ford, my heart bleeds for people like you who do not have a care in the world for the rights of other humans.

Rob Ford's email address is plastered all over the Internet. If you're concerned, do let him know how you feel. It would be easy to send him a sting of profanities, but don't do that. We're more intelligent than that.

0 Comments: